John P. Gardella
(617) 279-8225 Email me
As a litigator for 13 years, I have been asked by many what it is that I most enjoy about the practice of law. While it is true that the intellectual challenges, the courtroom “on your feet” thinking, and the constant search for new approaches to old legal arguments motivate me, there is one thing that truly drives me – succeeding not for myself, but for my clients. No claim or lawsuit is the same. Not only do the facts for each case differ, but so too does the approach necessary to achieve the absolute best results for my clients. Behind every individual, company, or defendant is a story and, most importantly, someone in need of a voice to defend them against the claims brought against them.
For the last 10 years, I have successfully litigated hundreds of claims involving asbestos, products liability, environmental, lead paint, and landlord-tenancy issues. I have negotiated multi-million dollar claims, taken hundreds of expert and fact witness depositions, and successfully argued Motions in the Superior, District, and Housing Courts in Massachusetts. For the last five years, I served as National Coordinating Counsel for a distribution company that is routinely sued nationally in the asbestos litigation. In that role, I developed a national defense strategy for the company, served as trial counsel, and litigated cases throughout the country.
I am also especially proud of my service to the community during my professional career. I have had the opportunity to handle select pro bono matters for individuals in need of legal counsel, and it gives me an incredible sense of satisfaction to be able to help others when they have nowhere else to turn for help. In addition, I am actively involved in the Martin Richard Foundation, a charity established by the Richard family in honor of their son, Martin, who was a victim of the Boston Marathon tragedy. It inspires me every day knowing that the Richard family chose a message of peace and kindness in the face of such horror and made it their goal to honor their son by giving back to the community. It is for that reason that I have now run two marathons for Team MR8 (the running group established by the Foundation for fundraising purposes). I look forward to continuing to spread young Martin’s message and fundraise for this wonderful cause as long as my legs allow me to.
After graduating from law school, I worked for the State of Tennessee for two years, during which time I litigated hundreds of cases of child abuse, neglect, and sexual assault, including taking over seventy trials to verdict. When I moved to Boston in 2005, I clerked for Judges in the Massachusetts courts until 2006, when I accepted a position at a Boston law firm as an associate. Although I was made a Partner at the law firm, I have never been more excited than I am now to represent you as a Shareholder at a firm that I helped to establish and create, along with five of my partners from my prior employment.
I look forward to representing you and bringing the same passion and sincere desire to succeed on your behalf to any case in which you might need my legal counsel.
- 2000: Vanderbilt University, magna cum laude, B.A. Economics, minor Japanese
- 2003: Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D. (Associate Editor of the Vanderbilt Transnational Law Journal)
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- “Glyphosate: Emerging Litigation Trend in MA and Beyond”, Massachusetts Defense Lawyers’ Association; April 2019
- “Talc Litigation: Getting Ahead of the Next Wave”, EECMA Conference; May 2018
- In house corporate presentations on glyphosate and talc litigation trends and future predictions
- Anthony daFonseca To Speak At National Construction Defect Conference
- CMBG3 Cares Volunteers At Cradles To Crayons
- CMBG3 Sponsors and Volunteers At Memorial Day Flag Garden
- CMBG3 Supports American Heart | Stroke Association
- John Gardella Publishes Cover Story in Claims Magazine
- Michaela Lancer Leads Nationally Streamed Webinar On Glyphosate
- Michaela Lancer Presents On Glyphosate For MDLA
- Michaela Lancer Speaks At Prestigious Conference On Glyphosate
- Michaela Lancer To Speak For MDLA On Glyphosate
- Michaela Lancer and John Gardella’s Glyphosate Article In Law360
- I am rated “AV-Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of legal knowledge, analytical capabilities, judgment, communication ability, and legal experience.
- I was named to the “Rising Stars” list in New England Super Lawyers for five years, including 2016. Only 2.5% of the attorneys in Massachusetts are selected as “Rising Star” Super Lawyers.
- I am also listed as a Massachussetts “Super Lawyer” for 2017.
- I also served as a judge for the Yale University Mock Trial Competition for the past six years.