John P. Gardella
(617) 279-8225 Email me
John Gardella is a Shareholder at CMBG3 Law and a trial attorney with over 17 years of litigation experience. His practice focuses on environmental litigation and compliance matters, as well as the litigation of products liability and toxic torts cases (asbestos, talc, lead paint, benzene) matters.Mr. Gardella’s environmental work includes representation of companies in CERCLA, Safe Drinking Water Act, Clean Water Act, and numerous state level environmental regulatory matters. These matters range from litigation to compliance planning and audits to ensure corporate compliance objectives are met. In addition, for the past five years, Mr. Gardella has focused his practice on the emerging issue of PFAS, and is regularly invited to speak about PFAS at conferences, to consulting and risk analyst groups, and in-house to insurance companies and businesses. His thought leadership and predictive analytical skills with respect to PFAS risks and litigation trends earned him and his PFAS team at CMBG3 the honor of being the only law firm in the country that was recognized as a thought leader on PFAS in 2020 by the esteemed National Law Review. Mr. Gardella is regularly interviewed by media writers on the subject of PFAS, and he consistently publishes his own thought leadership on the topic in several nationally syndicated resources, including Bloomberg Law, AM Best, and National Law Review. In addition, Mr. Gardella’s product liability and toxic torts experience involves the litigation of over a thousand cases. He has taken hundreds of expert and fact witness depositions, prepared corporate witnesses for trial testimony from scratch, negotiated multi-million dollar claims, and successfully argued legal issues in Massachusetts courts. Mr. Gardella has also served as National Coordinating Counsel for a company in the asbestos litigation for over 14 years, which requires him to develop a national defense strategy for the company, to serve as trial counsel, and to negotiate cases throughout the country. Prior to founding CMBG3 Law with his fellow Shareholders, Mr. Gardella worked as a State’s Attorney in Tennessee for two years, during which time he litigated hundreds of cases of child abuse, neglect, and sexual assault. In his role with the State of Tennessee, Mr. Gardella successfully tried over seventy-five cases to verdict.
- 2000: Vanderbilt University, magna cum laude, B.A. Economics, minor Japanese
- 2003: Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D. (Associate Editor of the Vanderbilt Transnational Law Journal)
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- “Glyphosate: Emerging Litigation Trend in MA and Beyond”, Massachusetts Defense Lawyers’ Association; April 2019
- “Talc Litigation: Getting Ahead of the Next Wave”, EECMA Conference; May 2018
- In house corporate presentations on glyphosate and talc litigation trends and future predictions
- Companies Should Prepare Now For European PFAS Regs, Law360 Products Liability and Environmental sections, July 16, 2020
- New Hampshire Adopts Aggressive PFAS Drinking Water Bill, The National Law Review, July 24, 2020
- Expectations For Glyphosate Litigation After Monsanto Verdict, Law360 Product’s Liability & Environmental sections, March 28, 2019
- The Future of Autonomous Vehicles, Claims Magazine (cover story), May 2019
- Risk Management In Elder Care Facilities, Claims Magazine, April 2019
- Navigating the Haze of Marijuana Laws, Claims magazine (cover story), November 2017
- Australian PFAS Podcast Interviews John Gardella May 12, 2021
- John Gardella Interviewed By Bloomberg On PFAS May 10, 2021
- John Gardella Interviewed by Chemical Watch For PFAS Article May 10, 2021
- PFAS Legislation In Vermont Some of Most Aggressive In U.S. May 6, 2021
- Most Followed Global PFAS Podcast Interviews John Gardella May 4, 2021
- California Office Gives Back For Earth Day 2021 April 29, 2021
- PFAS Paper Mill Settlement Reflects Growing Trend April 28, 2021
- PFAS Exemptions Eliminated By EPA April 28, 2021
- PFAS Action Act of 2021 Increases Pressure On Biden To Act April 27, 2021
- CMBG3 Volunteers Give Back For Earth Day 2021 April 26, 2021
- I am rated “AV-Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of legal knowledge, analytical capabilities, judgment, communication ability, and legal experience.
- I was named to the “Rising Stars” list in New England Super Lawyers for five years, including 2016. Only 2.5% of the attorneys in Massachusetts are selected as “Rising Star” Super Lawyers.
- I am also listed as a Massachussetts “Super Lawyer” for 2017 - 2019.
- I also served as a judge for the Yale University Mock Trial Competition for the past six years.