John P. Gardella
- (617) 279-8225
John Gardella is a Shareholder and recognized thought leader on PFAS issues. He is licensed to practice in Massachusetts and Tennessee.
A seasoned trial attorney with over 75 verdicts, John is the Chair of the firm’s PFAS, Environmental, Risk Management & Consulting, and ESG practice groups. His thought leadership and predictive risk abilities with respect to PFAS earned him the honor of being the only person in the country that was recognized as a thought leader on PFAS in 2020 and 2021 by the esteemed National Law Review. John is regularly interviewed by media on the subject of PFAS and other emerging chemicals of concern, and he consistently publishes his own thought leadership in several nationally syndicated resources, including Bloomberg Law, AM Best, and National Law Review. Private equity firms, the financial world, insurance companies, and corporations regularly seek John’s opinions on forward-looking environmental and chemical substances risk issues.
In his environmental and toxic torts practice, John represents companies ranging in size from small mom-and-pop businesses to Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies. Companies seek John’s expertise on matters ranging from compliance planning and audits to litigation of pending cases.
John also Chairs the firm’s CMBG3 Cares charitable program; is a member of the Association for Corporate Growth and sits on its Industrials and Manufacturing Committee, ASTM’s PFAS committees, the USA 500 Clubs, and the Personal Care Products Council; and actively participates in and supports the firm’s DEI initiatives.
Outside of work, John is committed to supporting various charitable organizations, specifically through raising money for them through marathon and triathlon participation. Through these efforts, John has raised over $30,000 for the Martin Richard Foundation and Autism Speaks.
- 2000: Vanderbilt University, magna cum laude, B.A. Economics, minor Japanese
- 2003: Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D. (Associate Editor of the Vanderbilt Transnational Law Journal)
- United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- Only attorney in the country named a National Thought Leader on PFAS by the National Law Review, 2020-2021
- Selected to Super Lawyers: 2017 - 2021
- Rated “AV-Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of legal knowledge, analytical capabilities, judgment, communication ability, and legal experience.
- Named to the “Rising Stars” list in New England Super Lawyers for five years, including 2016. Only 2.5% of the attorneys in Massachusetts are selected as “Rising Star” Super Lawyers.
In the Media
- “PFAS Science In the Courtroom: Admissibility Issues For Emerging Contaminants”, Judicial Symposium On Scientific Methodology and the Admissibility of Expert Testimony; March 2022
- “The Environmental Justice Movement: Turning Concepts Into Actions”, Antea Group Webinar; February 2022
- “Navigating the Complexities of Today’s M&A Environment”, Smart Business Dealmakers Conference; January 2022
- “PFAS: 2022 and Beyond – Changes Coming and Impacts On Insureds”, Perrin’s Impact of PFAS On Environmental Litigation Conference; January 2022
- “Impact of PFAS On Environmental Litigation”, Perrin’s Environmental Risk & Litigation Conference; October 2021
- “PFAS Impacts On Equity World Deal Considerations”, ACG’s Manufacturing & Industrial DealSource; April 2021
- “PFAS Science In the Courtroom: Admissibility Issues For Emerging Contaminants”, Judicial Symposium On Scientific Methodology and the Admissibility of Expert Testimony; March 2021
- Corporate, insurer, private equity and investment world speaking engagements on chemicals of concern and the impacts on industrial, manufacturing and consumer goods verticals
- Greenwashing Within the Fashion Industry Is the UK’s Next Target The Fashion News, January 31, 2022 (quoted)
- Not So Clean? False Advertising Lawsuits Allege PFAS In CoverGirl, BareMinerals Products Informa’s Pharma Intelligence, January 21, 2022 (quoted)
- US NGO Sues CoverGirl, Coty Over Sustainability Claims of Alleged PFAS-Containing Product Chemical Watch, January 10, 2022 (quoted)
- State Eclipses Feds In Cleaning Forever Chemicals In Soil Bloomberg, November 10, 2021 (quoted)
- The Doctor Will See the PFAS Exposed Plaintiff Now Bloomberg, October 26, 2021 (quoted)
- PFAS Ruling Against Downstream Users Expected To Shift Plaintiffs’ Focus Inside EPA, October 1, 2021 (quoted)
- Changes Coming For PFAS Due Diligence In M&A, Real Estate Deals Bloomberg, June 24, 2021
- As Maine Aims To Ban Carpets, Concerns Emerge With Pending PFAS Legislation Legal Newsline, June 22, 2021 (quoted)
- Vermont Bill Banning PFAS In Consumer Goods Nears Finish Line Bloomberg, May 10, 2021 (quoted)
- More Limits Possible On TSCA New Chemicals Review Exemptions For PFAS Chemical Watch, May 6, 2021 (quoted)
- On High Alert: Rising Risks of PFAS Claims and Litigation Capture New Attention AM Best, April 2021 (quoted)
- New York Plans PFOA Air Limits But Environmentalists Resist Incineration Inside EPA, March 8, 2021 (quoted)
- PFAS Regulation: Business Should Plan Now For Regulation Bloomberg, February 9, 2021
- PFAS Settlement Earmarks $4B For Clean-Up Global Water Intelligence, January 28, 2021 (quoted)
- Dupont, Spinoffs Set $4B PFAS Toxic-Cleanup Liability Fund Engineering News-Record, January 27, 2021 (quoted)
- Lawsuits and Limits Multiply with PFAS Chemical Problems Engineering News-Record, January 20, 2021 (quoted)
- Democrats’ Hill Control Seen Boosting Outlook For CERCLA Action On PFAS Inside EPA, January 12, 2021 (quoted)
- Newsom Enacts Ban On PFAS In Firefighting Foam, New Reporting Inside EPA, October 1, 2020 (quoted)
- Companies Should Prepare Now For European PFAS Regs, Law360 Products Liability and Environmental sections, July 16, 2020
- Expectations For Glyphosate Litigation After Monsanto Verdict, Law360 Product’s Liability & Environmental sections, March 28, 2019
- The Future of Autonomous Vehicles, Claims Magazine (cover story), May 2019
- Risk Management In Elder Care Facilities, Claims Magazine, April 2019
- Navigating the Haze of Marijuana Laws, Claims magazine (cover story), November 2017
- PFAS State AG Lawsuits Update: Delaware Enters the Fray November 12, 2023
- PFAS and WHO: Major Conference This Week Will Impact Litigation November 10, 2023
- Michigan PFAS Drinking Water Case Is Appealed November 2, 2023
- PFAS Consumer Fraud Lawsuit Update: New Protein Supplement Case In NY October 31, 2023
- PFAS Air Emissions: EPA’s Next Target October 30, 2023
- Bloomberg Interviews John Gardella On PFAS Bankruptcies Growing In Number October 27, 2023
- Hardwick PFAS Case: Pivotal Oral Argument Sees Pushback On Plaintiffs’ Arguments October 25, 2023
- PFAS TRI Exemptions Gone…Businesses Must Pay Attention October 23, 2023
- 12 CMBG3 Attorneys Recognized as Super Lawyers Or Rising Stars October 17, 2023
- CMBG3 Proudly Sponsors NEC Event With Congressman Auchincloss October 5, 2023