Christine D. Calareso
Partner & Director of California Offices
(949) 467-9605 Email me
Christine D. Calareso is a seasoned litigator, negotiator, and industry leader in the areas of toxic tort, environmental, products liability, general liability, construction defect, and Proposition 65 compliance and litigation.
Ms. Calareso often represents various defendants in toxic tort litigation, including cases arising out of alleged exposure to asbestos, talc, benzene, diacetyl, chemicals, and mixed dusts. Her clients include manufacturers, suppliers, distributers, and premises defendants from a wide array of industries, including automotive/friction, construction, printing, plumbing, Naval, textile, and food services. She also has significant experience litigating complex general liability matters, environmental cases (including Proposition 65 matters), construction defect, and workers’ compensation matters. She also assists companies with compliance related to Proposition 65 regulations to avoid future litigation.
Ms. Calareso works closely with her clients – including carriers, insureds (from small businesses to Fortune 500 companies), experts and third-party participants – to develop creative and effective defenses for clients seasoned in litigation, as well as clients sued for the first time. She is well-respected by judges, mediators, and opposing counsel, which allows her to negotiate dismissals for her clients, prevail on summary judgment motions, and craft and negotiate creative and beneficial settlements in even the most challenging matters.
Ms. Calareso is frequently called upon to speak at industry conferences (DRI, CLM, EECMA, ABA, and Perrin) as well as present in-house to clients and insurance carriers. Her presentations have included California litigation trends and case law, Proposition 65 compliance, recoverable damages, emergence and trends of talc litigation, changing scope of take-home liability, negotiation strategies, and other subjects. She is the author of the article “‘Take Home’ Exposure to Asbestos Ruling Raises New Questions.”
Ms. Calareso has been recognized as a Super Lawyer/Rising Star every year from 2009-2018, as well as one of the Top 25 Lawyers in Orange County, and Top 50 Women Lawyers in Southern California. She is a Fellow of the prestigious Litigation Counsel of America and has earned an "AV Preeminent®" rating – the highest rating possible - from Martindale Hubbell.
A wife and mother of two rambunctious boys, Ms. Calareso dedicates her time to organizations committed to the rights of women and children around the world and the eradication of human trafficking and global poverty. She also often can be found at the baseball field keeping score.
- American University, Washington College of Law, J.D., 2002
- Wake Forest University, B.A. English, 1999
- USDC-CA (Southern District)
- USDC-CA (Central District)
- "Talc Trends, Verdicts & Litigation Themes”, DRI Asbestos Medicine Conference; Nov. 2018
- "WARNING: THIS SUBJECT CONTAINS A DISCUSSION OF CHEMICALS KNOWN TO CAUSE CANCER. PROPOSITION 65 AND LABELING LAWS: WHO ACTUALLY BENEFITS IN THE AGE OF OVER-WARNING?", EECMA Conference; April 2018
- "Take Home 101", DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar; Nov. 2017
- "Homeward Bound: The Rise of Household Exposure Claims in Asbestos Litigation", EECMA Conference; April 2017
- "Trends and Issues Regarding Talc Litigation", CLM Southwest Conference – Environmental; Nov. 2016
- "Food, Drug, and GMO-related Claims", American Bar Association, 25th Annual Spring CLE, Trends in Toxic Torts and Environmental Law: Today, Tomorrow and Beyond; April 2016
- "The Next Wave of Litigation: TALC", EECMA Conference; April 2016
- "Golden Times in the Golden State: An Update on the California Litigation", Perrin Conference, Cutting-Edge Issues In Asbestos Litigation; March 2016
- "High-Volume Jurisdictions - Verdicts and Appellate Rulings", DRI Asbestos Medicine Seminar; Nov. 2012
- Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2009 – Present
- Named to Top 25 Lawyers in Orange County list
- Named to Top 50 Women Lawyers in Southern California list
- Rated “AV-Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America