Gilliam F. Stewart
(415) 957-2322 Email me
Gilliam Stewart is Of Counsel in CMBG3’s Northern California office. Gilliam’s litigation practice focuses on representing manufacturers, suppliers, and contractors in complex litigation, including toxic torts, personal injury, construction defect and products liability. He manages all phases of litigation in state and federal courts from discovery, motion practice, and alternative dispute resolution to appellate practice. In addition, Gilliam counsels clients on regulatory compliance under California’s Proposition 65 (formerly the Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986).
Gilliam has been successful at the appellate level, having co-authored the winning appellant’s brief in Hart v. Keenan Properties, Inc. (2018) 239 Cal.Rptr.3d 896, 897, a decision finding that a key piece of evidence – a witness account of an disputed sales invoice – was hearsay and resulting in a full reversal of the underlying trial court’s verdict in favor of plaintiffs. As a law student, Gilliam was also involved in legal research projects while interning in the appellate division of the Office of the Prosecutor at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia in The Hague, Netherlands.
Gilliam received his undergraduate degree in finance from Villanova University. While in law school, Gilliam took courses at the Charles University in Prague, was a member of the University of San Francisco Law Review, was a member of the university’s McAuliffe Honor Society, and participated in a clinic assisting individual investors through the securities arbitration process
Prior to joining CMBG3, Gilliam worked for firms in San Francisco with focuses on toxic tort and claims brought under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act and its extension, the Defense Base Act.
Gilliam has been recognized as a Rising Star by Super Lawyers Magazine since 2013.
Gilliam lives in San Francisco with his wife and two daughters. He enjoys taking his girls to the park, cooking, wine making, and, when he gets a chance, heading to Tahoe to ski.
- University of San Francisco School of Law, J.D., 2008
- Villanova University, B.A. Finance, 2001
- USDC-CA (Norhtern District)
- Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2013-2017
- Joe Gunter and Gilliam appealed and won a full reversal at the California Court of Appeal, challenging the trial court’s admission of a key piece of hearsay evidence. Hart v. Keenan Properties, Inc. (2018) 239 Cal.Rptr.3d 896, 897.
- I am rated “AV-Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of legal knowledge, analytical capabilities, judgment, communication ability, and legal experience.
- I was named to the “Rising Stars” list in New England Super Lawyers for five years, including 2016. Only 2.5% of the attorneys in Massachusetts are selected as “Rising Star” Super Lawyers.
- I am also listed as a Massachussetts “Super Lawyer” for 2017.
- I also served as a judge for the Yale University Mock Trial Competition for the past six years.