W. Joseph Gunter
(415) 957-2315 Email me
For over 20 years, Joe Gunter has specialized in defending corporations and small businesses in high exposure complex product liability claims. While Joe enjoys the challenge of jury trials and has tried three cases to verdict in the last couple of years, he focuses on efficient and effective case preparation to achieve outright dismissals or favorable resolutions before trial. Joe is also a proven appellate attorney recently winning a full reversal at the California Court of Appeal, challenging the trial court’s admission of a key piece of hearsay evidence. Hart v. Keenan Properties, Inc. (2018) 239 Cal.Rptr.3d 896, 897.
Joe has over ten years of experience managing litigation teams dedicated to defending clients in asbestos-related personal injury cases. He ensures that multiple cases are trial ready while working closely with clients, national counsel and carriers to ensure that each case receives the best defense.
Joe is originally from the Kansas City area and graduated from the University of Kansas School of Law in 1993.
- University of Kansas School of Law, J.D., 1993
- United States Court of Appeals, 9th District
- Joe Gunter and Gilliam Stewart appealed and won a full reversal at the California Court of Appeal, challenging the trial court’s admission of a key piece of hearsay evidence. Hart v. Keenan Properties, Inc. (2018) 239 Cal.Rptr.3d 896, 897.
- Rising Star 2017, Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- I am rated “AV-Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, signifying the highest level of legal knowledge, analytical capabilities, judgment, communication ability, and legal experience.
- I was named to the “Rising Stars” list in New England Super Lawyers for five years, including 2016. Only 2.5% of the attorneys in Massachusetts are selected as “Rising Star” Super Lawyers.
- I am also listed as a Massachussetts “Super Lawyer” for 2017.
- I also served as a judge for the Yale University Mock Trial Competition for the past six years.