- (617) 279-8229
Rick Braun is a Partner in CMBG3 Law’s Michigan office and is licensed to practice law in Illinois and Michigan.
Attorney Braun has over 20 years of experience, including trial and lobbying experience, in products liability, environmental, toxic torts and asbestos litigation. He has practiced on National Coordinating Counsel accounts for the asbestos litigation for all of his years of practice. His experience includes representing and advising C-suite executives, in-house counsel, and insurers in litigation and risk management matters, in a wide range of company types.
Attorney Braun’s national asbestos litigation experience includes representation of manufacturers, suppliers, and premises owners through all phases of litigation. His National Coordinating Counsel experience includes vetting, developing and managing expert witnesses and corporate representatives for his clients. Attorney Braun was a liaison counsel for all defendants in the Michigan asbestos litigation and was a member of the Wayne County Asbestos Litigation Steering Committee. In addition, he was on the State Bar of Michigan Special Committee which rewrote the Michigan Court Rules related to discovery and pre-trial procedure. He currently serves as a case evaluator in Oakland County Circuit Court, sitting on both the General Liability and Product Liability panels.
Within the asbestos litigation, Attorney Braun has lobbied the Michigan Legislature successfully to pass Michigan’s Asbestos Bankruptcy Trust Claims Transparency Act, and testified before the Michigan House of Representatives Competitiveness Committee on House Bill 5456 related to disclosure of asbestos bankruptcy trust submissions.
Attorney Braun has also been involved in numerous professional organizations, including the Vice Chair of the Marketing Committee and DRI for Life Committee Liaison for the DRI. He also participates in three DRI committees, including the Toxic Tort and Environmental Law Committee, the Product Liability Committee, and the Litigation Skills Committee. In addition, he served as the Vice Chair and Chair of the Energy, Sustainability, and Environmental Law Committee for the Oakland County Bar Association. Finally, he serves on the State Bar of Michigan’s Special Committee on Civil Discovery Court Rules, Scope and Course of Discovery Subcommittee.
His charitable endeavors include serving on the Board of Directors for the American Lung Association of Midland States, and serving as a Member of the City of Rochester Hills Brownfield Redevelopment Authority from 2016 until the present
- Harvard Law School, Executive Education, Harvard Negotiation Institute, 2015
- Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1999
- Michigan State University, B.A. with honors, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of michigan
- U.S. District Court for the DIstrict of Minnesota
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated by Martindale-Hubbell®
- The Best Lawyers in America© (2018-2023)
- Litigation - Environmental
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Defendants
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- OCBA Frances R. Avadenka Memorial Award (2016)
- Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2012-2014)
- DBusiness® Top Lawyer in Product Liability (2012-2013)
In the Media
- "PFAS 102: BI Claims," National Forum for Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues (FETTI) Annual Conference (September 2022)
- “PFAS – Michigan’s Experience and Outlook,” Perrin Conferences, Impact of PFAS on Environmental Litigation (January 2022)
- "Are we Losing the PR Fight in Mass Tort Litigation? Large Verdicts, Group Dynamics, Jury Psychology, and Where We Can Go from Here," Environmental and Emerging Claim Manager Association (EECMA), Annual Conference (2021)
- "Asbestos Medicine 101: Asbestosis and Other Cancers," DRI, Asbestos Medicine Seminar (2019)
- "Coming Soon to a Drinking Water Source Near You: EPA Regulation of Perchlorate," National Forum for Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues (FETTI) Annual Conference (2018)
- "WARNING: This Subject Contains a Discussion of Chemicals Known to Cause Cancer – Proposition 65 and Labeling Laws: Who Actually Benefits In the Age of Over-Warning?" Environmental and Emerging Claim Manager Association (EECMA), Annual Conference (2018)
- “Take Home 101," DRI, Asbestos Medicine Seminar (2017)
- "Homeward Bound: The Rise of Household Exposure Claims in Asbestos Litigation," Environmental and Emerging Claim Manager Association (EECMA), Annual Conference (2017)
- "OCBA-U, Environmental Law," Oakland County Bar Association (2016)
- "Take-Home Asbestos Cases: The Exposure Defense," National Forum for Environmental and Toxic Tort Issues (FETTI), Annual Conference (2016)
- PFAS Risks Rising for Manufacturers and Insurers October 21, 2021
- Midwest Update (2021 Quarter 1) April 5, 2021
- Podcast Litigation Psychology in Toxic Tort Cases, The Litigation Psychology Podcast - Episode 47 November 30, 2020
- Coming Soon to a Drinking Water Source Near You: EPA Action on Perchlorate, DRI Toxic Tort Newsletter, Volume 21, Issue 2 2018
- Take-Home Asbestos Cases: Handling the Depositions and Establishing Your Client’s Exposure Defense, DRI Toxic Tort Newsletter, Volume 19, Issue 1 2016